Native American Scholarship Program
The application for the Freeport-McMoRan Native American College Scholarship and the Freeport-McMoRan Navajo Code Talkers Scholarship will be open from February 1 – June 1, 2023.
These scholarships are funded by Freeport-McMoRan and administered by Education Forward Arizona.
The value of these scholarships is $3,000/per semester for students enrolled in a four-year program at a university or tribal college and $1,500/per semester for students enrolled in a two-year program at a community college or tribal college. For students enrolled at a trade school, the value of this scholarship will be determined by program length.
Students awarded with a scholarship are also required to participate in the Success Services Program, in partnership with Education Forward Arizona. The participation requirements include:
- Participation in advising sessions with a Success Adviser twice per semester
- Keeping in constant contact with your Success Adviser
- Submit all paperwork, including transcripts, schedules, school changes and other requests by Education Forward Arizona or your Success Adviser
- Respond to all Education Forward Arizona communication within 48 hours
- Attend the Annual Leadership Symposium (if required by your Success Adviser)
- Attend one Scholar Success Network meeting per semester
- Follow the College and Career Success Milestones as presented by your Success Adviser
- Be an enrolled member of one of the following tribal communities with priority given to students from the first five listed tribes:
- Hualapai Tribe
- Navajo Nation
- San Carlos Apache Tribe
- Tohono O’odham Nation
- White Mountain Apache Tribe
- Ak-Chin Indian Community
- Gila River Indian Community
- Hopi Tribe
- Pascua Yaqui Tribe
- Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
- Tonto Apache Tribe
- Yavapai- Apache Nation
- Yavapai Prescott Indian Tribe
- Zuni Pueblo
- Be attending an accredited community college, tribal college, four-year university, or trade school
- Be a full-time student (minimum of 12 credit hours or full time as deemed by the institution)
- Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and be in good current academic standing
- Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis. Scholarship renewal is contingent upon maintaining good academic standing, maintaining full-time enrollment and a minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA.
- Prior receipt of a scholarship does not guarantee a future academic year scholarship.